Even during times of blogging droughts, I write. Just because I haven’t written online doesn’t mean I haven’t written at all. I even have this reminder to keep my pen scribbling on the page. Thanks, Pinterest.
I must admit that most of my writing this past year has been done for class…very structured and in the form of research papers. Not much fun. However, when I am in need of a writing break, I have these beauties:
I love journals. Take me to the journal section of any store, and my heart will be filled with longing. On my usual shopping trips, I try not to pass by that section because I know how difficult it is to pull away without grabbing something.
Believe it or not, each of these journals has a different purpose…or will have. I’m still trying to figure out what I should do with a couple of them.
- Nostalgia journal: My butterfly journal is the one I grew up with. It has all my thoughts and feelings from middle school…dangerous territory.
- Travel journal: Any Whovians out there should guess this one immediately. The journal with the T.A.R.D.I.S. (which is known for traveling through space and time) is my travel journal. I haven’t gotten much use out of it yet, but I hope to more in the future.
- Prayer journal: The bright green journal–the largest one of them all–is my prayer journal. I tend to use this one more than any others.
- Diary: The solid black journal I am simply calling my diary because I don’t know what else to call it. This is where I write about day-to-day life.
- Book-list journal: I am a nerd, so I have to keep lists of all the books I read by year. The light green flowery journal is used for this purpose.
- Dream journal: I don’t care what anyone says–I haven’t heard of anyone who has had stranger dreams than I have. For example, I once dreamed about giant water bottles (as big as houses) sprouting arms and legs and dancing with each other. Can it get weirder than that? Because of the strange things my brain comes up with during the wee small hours, I have a journal just for my dreams. The cover in the photo says “Night Dreams,” but if you flip it over, it says “Day Dreams.” Two journals in one!
- Quote journal: The elegant black journal with the red and gold decoration is new. A few weeks ago, my friend gave it to me for no reason…simply because she’s wonderful. When I’m reading books, I’m always wanting to write down quotes to go over later on. Now, I have a place to do that, and it will be great.
- Poetry journal: I’ve had the brown leather journal for a while, but I haven’t dared to write anything in it yet. It’s too pretty. That’s why I’m thinking of using it to write down my favorite poems. It seems only right.
- ??? journal: The last journal is quite thin, and I’m not sure what to use it for. I received it with a copy of JJ Heller’s most recent album, and on the cover are some lyrics from her song “Sound of a Living Heart:” “Out of the grave I’ve been living in, with new lungs I’ll begin again. Lift my voice and sing my part. This is the sound of a living heart.” Great song and great album. Go check it out!